Workers Compensation FAQs

WorkCover will not give you independent legal advice regarding your WorkCover claim. In our experience, WorkCover often does not pay your maximum entitlement to compensation to weekly payments, medical expenses and lump sums. In order to claim damages for pain and suffering and lost wages, you will need work injury lawyers in Melbourne to represent you.

You should report your injury to your employer as soon as possible. Normally, you must notify your employer within 30 days of your accident. You should arrange an appointment to see your doctor as soon as possible. In order to claim compensation for weekly payments or medical expenses, you should complete a Worker’s Injury Claim Form and give it to your employer together with a Certificate of Capacity from your doctor. You should also contact one of our compensation lawyers on 1300 333 300 to obtain advice to protect your rights.

If the insurer refuses or ceases to pay you compensation, you should refer the dispute to the Accident Compensation and Conciliation Service (ACCS). This is a free service. You normally only have 60 days from the date of the decision to refer your dispute to the ACCS. However, extensions are available. If the matter does not resolve after the conciliation, you should seek legal advice from a compensation lawyer at our office concerning referring the matter to court.

Sadly, two-thirds of Australians will be diagnosed with skin cancer by the time they are 70. This includes cancers such as; basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. Your chances of developing a melanoma or non-melanoma skin cancer are increased significantly if you work, or have worked outside and have been exposed to ultraviolet light (UV) on an extended basis. If you or a loved one who has passed away have developed skin cancer as a result of outdoor work, you may be eligible for financial compensation. There are strict time frames that apply to secure compensation, so you are best to enquire with one of our personal injury lawyers as soon as you can. There are no out of pocket expenses for to you explore whether you have a viable claim, and if you don’t win, there’s no fee.

If you are injured on your way to or from work, your injury will not usually be covered under the WorkCover system. However, you are entitled to compensation from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC).